Oct 5, 2011

Buy Nothing New!!

I am participating in Buy Nothing New Month. I already love op shopping and all things second hand, so it shouldn't be too much of a stretch. but I do still buy new things quite often, especially online! So I will have to watch what I buy.

I should use it as an excuse to post to this blog more, shouldn't I? I am currently cleaning my place up at home, so here is a pic of my lounge.The only "bought new" things in this picture are the vacuum, the laptop, the bookcase and the xbox (oh, and the set top box!). The couch is second hand, the tv is second hand (ex store tv, those ones you see in clothing shops playing music videos) the cameras the books, the cushions, the coffee table and shag rug. The speakers under the tv were free. even the coasters on the coffee table. I would guess at least 80% of the stuff in my house has been found at op shops or given to me. This blog was meant to be to show everything I find. But as you can see, its a big job!

Yesterday I bought one of those little hooks that can fit over the top of doors, so I decided to put some of my bag collection on it so they arent just hanging off door handles or lying on the ground!

I realised after I took the photo that everything in the pic is from the op shop. I love the op shop for finding bags. I love all things aztec/tribal and I like real leather, too. I know leather is dead cows and that's bad, but vintage leather to me is ok, because if a cow ided to make something nice then we should try to get as much use out of it as possible! PU bags feel so throw away and cheap to me. The leather satchel in the photo is really thick and sturdy, i think I'll be able to keep it for life. The shirt is a levis shirt I found for $5.

The other interesting thing about this pic is all this stuff came from the same few shops in the same area (Geelong) just over the last few years. You don't have to go nuts and travel across the state or country to be a good op shopper (but you can if you want!). I think its just about going out every week. I'm probably lucky in that I can see a trend coming, because I need to know what's in fashion for my job. So I know what stuff to look out for. But this is really my taste anyway. I don't buy to sell (though I do want to one day) but I think even if you do, it makes sense to buy what you like and what interests you. Its harder to know if something's a dud if its something you aren't passionate about already.

If you're jealous of my stuff, go out there and get shopping! I'm going to try to post my finds more during this month, so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment